Saturday, July 30, 2005

Having to Start Somewhere

The title of this blog comes from a phrase that I've used to describe myself and people like me over the past few years. Actually the phrase is usually "doughy, middle-aged white guy" but I thought I'd spare a few keystrokes. Plus, the age thing isn't really that significant in describing the prototype. You know him, and probably have one of them in your life somewhere. People use words like "funny" and "dorky" to describe him. Has a good job. Drinks light beer...or microbrews. Tries Atkin. Goes to the gym. Tracks the stock market online. Binges on ESPN, but doesn't get up early in the morning with the sole purpose of watching it like he used to. Looking for one good woman who will give him reason to lose the Cortisol-induced midsection.

How much dough? Current weight is 234 pounds. At 6' tall, that puts me above the recommended BMI. If I were 12 years old, moms would call me "husky" rather than "fat." Even at my current size, people say things like: "I can't believe you weigh that much. You wear it so well." (When I repeat that statement out loud, though, it reminds me of women who say: "I'm 40, but most people think I'm in my 20s.") For the record, I've been known to eat waffle fries at Chick Fil-A and then go to the gym and do the elliptical machine for an hour.

Final thought: You have to start somewhere.

No comments: